Skip to main content

Coming Home to My Name

 

This morning the sun was warm, the clouds were playing hide and seek, and the greens outside my window were swaying. Soft music played while I worked. My son snuggled beside me with his book, and just then a bright tiger butterfly flew by as if to say hello and show off its colors. I felt a gush of gratitude. 🦋

For decades I have been on a journey of finding myself. Some pieces came easily; others took time, courage, and a few deep breaths. Every step has brought me closer to who I am at the core.

I have often wondered: if I could rename myself, what would I choose? The thought always made me smile. 

When my son was three, he changed his name daily. One day he introduced himself everywhere as “Auto Rickshaw.” People smiled, called others over, and asked him to say it again. 😊

My maiden surname was my first home and my roots. Later I carried my married surname with respect. And yet the inner search continued for a full name that truly felt like home. And now I have found that name.

With joy and gratitude, I step forward as Gowthamii Siddhi Lakshmi (ಗೌತಮೀ ಸಿದ್ಧಿ ಲಕ್ಷ್ಮಿ).  🙏

The name Siddhi is drawn from the ninth Navadurga, Siddhidātrī, and it also holds the unconditional affection of two people from my childhood. 
Lakshmi anchors me in my lakshya, in right goals and right work, so that abundance arrives with grace, dignity, and goodness in action. 

This change is not a rejection of my past. It is a bow and a step forward. 💖

Through Eleva, my work remains the same at heart: helping parents and adolescents build emotional strength, kinder homes, and clearer choices. We do it the old fashioned way: steady effort, honest conversation, and showing up for each other. 🙌

I remain the loudest cheerleader for my students, my family, and my friends. Together we keep spreading self-belief, laughter, gentle discipline, and acceptance of ourselves and one another.  And it is easier when we do it together As the tagline of my venture, Eleva, says, “With You.” 💛💝

With love and gratitude,
Gowthamii Siddhi Lakshmi
#NewNameNewChapter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Students Beginning Their College Journey

Dear Students, This letter is for every student stepping into undergraduate life—and especially for those of you I have had the privilege of mentoring over the past three to five years.  It has been a long and meaningful journey. I have watched many of you question, struggle, learn, change, and grow. And now, you are stepping into the big world—or, as I would like to call it, the  Big Good World . How you experience this world will be shaped by the people you choose, the experiences you create, and the inner world you carry within you. As you begin your undergraduate journey, here are five things I want you to remember: 1. It is okay to miss home. You may miss your home, family, and friends.  It is okay. You will adjust. You will be fine, and you are safe. 2. Choose your tribe carefully. Good friendships can make these years deeply meaningful. But finding the right people may take time. Give people the space and time to show you who they are—and believe them when th...

When Teasing Turns Harmful: Understanding Bullying in Children

  Bullying has become an increasingly challenging issue in today’s society. While it is easy to assume it exists only in certain environments, the reality is that it often happens right under our noses—in schools, on playgrounds, in sports settings, and even within our own communities. As parents, guardians, teachers, and coaches, it is important to understand not only what bullying is, but also the impact it has on children and what we can do to prevent it. What Is Bullying? A bully is typically defined as someone who seeks to harm, intimidate, or coerce another person perceived as vulnerable. Bullying can take many forms—hurtful teasing, repeated name-calling, exclusion, threats, or physical intimidation. A key element in bullying is a perceived imbalance of power—whether physical, social, or emotional—between the aggressor and the child being targeted. Bullying often begins at a young age. A child’s appearance, abilities, background, hobbies, or even small personal differences c...

Presence Over Perfection: The Photo That Won a Trophy 🏆

  Day 1 of a four-day state chess tournament. Sun’s out, pairings pending, snacks inventoried like a military operation. I leaned in for a quick selfie with my little champ. One click, one smile, and we ran to the hall. I had no idea that same photo would come back on Day 4 wearing a medal of its own. On the final day, there was a “Parent Child Duo” photo contest. I submitted this simple selfie. No filters, no staging, just a mother and her boy outside the venue, eyes full of hope (and a backpack full of everything from water bottles to paper clips). And guess what? It won a trophy! Behind every child seated at a chessboard is a list of quiet routines: the early alarms, rush ready, quick prayers, packed tiffins, and the hush of waiting outside as cl ocks tick inside. Sometimes we’re coaches, sometimes were cheerleaders, often we’re tissues and shoulders. We’re are always there. To the organizers, arbiters, coaches, and volunteers. Thank you for building these arenas where disciplin...