Dear Students,
This letter is for every student stepping into undergraduate life—and especially for those of you I have had the privilege of mentoring over the past three to five years.
It has been a long and meaningful journey. I have watched many of you question, struggle, learn, change, and grow. And now, you are stepping into the big world—or, as I would like to call it, the Big Good World.
How you experience this world will be shaped by the people you choose, the experiences you create, and the inner world you carry within you.
As you begin your undergraduate journey, here are five things I want you to remember:
1. It is okay to miss home.
You may miss your home, family, and friends. It is okay. You will adjust. You will be fine, and you are safe.
2. Choose your tribe carefully.
Good friendships can make these years deeply meaningful. But finding the right people may take time. Give people the space and time to show you who they are—and believe them when they do.
Do not ignore red flags. When someone repeatedly disrespects you, drains you, manipulates you, or makes you feel that you must become smaller to belong, it is okay to step back.
May you choose good friends, and may good friends choose you. I hope and pray that you find a tribe that supports you, celebrates you and tells you the truth with kindness.
And remember to become that kind of friend to others too.
3. Take ownership of your life.
You are entering a stage where your parents and mentors may not be checking every assignment, meal, decision, or deadline.
For those of you I have mentored, we have spent time preparing for this transition. Your parents and I believe that you are ready to begin taking your place in the world.
You do not have to get everything right. Take responsibility for your choices, ask for help when you need it, learn from your mistakes, and keep moving forward.
4. Take care of your body.
Eat well and eat on time. Hostel food may not always be as good as the food you are used to at home, but learn to adapt without neglecting your health.
Stay physically active. Joining a gym or a sports team would be wonderful, but even if that is not possible, make at least 30 minutes of walking every day non-negotiable.
Your physical wellbeing will influence your energy, emotions, concentration, and confidence more than you realise.
5. Protect your mind.
Do not spend too much time replaying the past or worrying about a future that has not yet arrived.
Come back to the present. Look at what is available to you now—the resources, people, opportunities, and choices—and take the next possible action.
Remember what I have always told you: gadgets are your tools, not your masters. Let them remain powerful tools that serve you well.
May your undergraduate years become some of the most enriching, joyful, and memorable years of your life.
With love and blessings,
Your Mentor,
Gowthamii Siddhi Lakshmi

Comments
Post a Comment