Skip to main content

The first time I felt beautiful. Thanks to the Man who couldn't See Me!!


 It was the Year 2013, I was in the class of my lecturer Rajdeep Manwaniji who is visually challenged. I was looking forward to his class. He walked with confidence into the class and took a minute to understand our seating arrangement. He gave us instructions as to how to ask questions (e.g. tell our name before asking anything) and interact with him during the sessions and then started the class... it was an eye opener for me to understand disability from a new perspective. 

And then he shared a real-life story and asked us questions, He did not look impressed with the first answer by one of my friends. I was the second one to answer. When I answered he took a long pause and I was wondering if I said something wrong, he then took a few steps toward me and says "Gowthami you are a beautiful person".  My heart filled with gratitude and tears rolled down. Because all these years I had carried a feeling that I was not beautiful, thanks to the thousand comments I had heard as a child again and again. "You are too thin", You are too fair, You are too tall, and many many more. 

Now here was a man who couldn't see me but called me beautiful. I think for the first time in my life I truly felt beautiful. I learned a powerful lesson that beauty is not what people see, but what people feel. 

If you resonated with the story, would love to read your thoughts below

#ilhstory #EQ

Photo credit @unsplash


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Students Beginning Their College Journey

Dear Students, This letter is for every student stepping into undergraduate life—and especially for those of you I have had the privilege of mentoring over the past three to five years.  It has been a long and meaningful journey. I have watched many of you question, struggle, learn, change, and grow. And now, you are stepping into the big world—or, as I would like to call it, the  Big Good World . How you experience this world will be shaped by the people you choose, the experiences you create, and the inner world you carry within you. As you begin your undergraduate journey, here are five things I want you to remember: 1. It is okay to miss home. You may miss your home, family, and friends.  It is okay. You will adjust. You will be fine, and you are safe. 2. Choose your tribe carefully. Good friendships can make these years deeply meaningful. But finding the right people may take time. Give people the space and time to show you who they are—and believe them when th...

When Teasing Turns Harmful: Understanding Bullying in Children

  Bullying has become an increasingly challenging issue in today’s society. While it is easy to assume it exists only in certain environments, the reality is that it often happens right under our noses—in schools, on playgrounds, in sports settings, and even within our own communities. As parents, guardians, teachers, and coaches, it is important to understand not only what bullying is, but also the impact it has on children and what we can do to prevent it. What Is Bullying? A bully is typically defined as someone who seeks to harm, intimidate, or coerce another person perceived as vulnerable. Bullying can take many forms—hurtful teasing, repeated name-calling, exclusion, threats, or physical intimidation. A key element in bullying is a perceived imbalance of power—whether physical, social, or emotional—between the aggressor and the child being targeted. Bullying often begins at a young age. A child’s appearance, abilities, background, hobbies, or even small personal differences c...

Presence Over Perfection: The Photo That Won a Trophy πŸ†

  Day 1 of a four-day state chess tournament. Sun’s out, pairings pending, snacks inventoried like a military operation. I leaned in for a quick selfie with my little champ. One click, one smile, and we ran to the hall. I had no idea that same photo would come back on Day 4 wearing a medal of its own. On the final day, there was a “Parent Child Duo” photo contest. I submitted this simple selfie. No filters, no staging, just a mother and her boy outside the venue, eyes full of hope (and a backpack full of everything from water bottles to paper clips). And guess what? It won a trophy! Behind every child seated at a chessboard is a list of quiet routines: the early alarms, rush ready, quick prayers, packed tiffins, and the hush of waiting outside as cl ocks tick inside. Sometimes we’re coaches, sometimes were cheerleaders, often we’re tissues and shoulders. We’re are always there. To the organizers, arbiters, coaches, and volunteers. Thank you for building these arenas where disciplin...